Tragic Incident in Mkoba: Police Officer Charged with Murder After Shooting Knife-Wielding Man

December 28, 2023
zimbabwe armed police | Report Focus News
zimbabwe armed police

In a shocking turn of events, a young police officer stationed at ZRP Mkoba has been charged with murder following a violent confrontation on Boxing Day. The officer, 19-year-old Kudakwashe Gurajena, is accused of fatally shooting Bongani Ndlovu, a 26-year-old man from Lower Gweru, during an altercation involving a knife and a group of suspects.

The incident unfolded in the early hours of Boxing Day when Ndlovu, attempting to rescue his colleague Tafadzwa Ndhlela from police custody, confronted Gurajena and other officers. Ndhlela had been arrested for disorderly conduct along with several others. In an aggressive move, Ndlovu and his associates threw stones at the officers, demanding the release of their friend. This assault resulted in injuries to two officers, with P/Cst Musazulwa and P/Cst Masango suffering a swollen leg and hip, respectively.

As the situation escalated, Ndlovu, armed with an Okapi knife, threatened the officers and snatched handcuffs and keys from P/Cst Masango. Despite reinforcements arriving from Mkoba police station, Ndlovu managed to flee the scene, leading to an assault report being filed.

However, the confrontation didn’t end there. Ndlovu later appeared at the Mkoba police station, still armed and demanding the release of Ndhlela. A team of officers, including Sgt Ncube and Cst Shava, who were armed with rifles, surrounded Ndlovu in an attempt to arrest him. When Ndlovu charged towards the officers, including Gurajena, a series of events led to Gurajena firing his weapon, striking Ndlovu in the neck and resulting in his immediate death.

The scene was attended by multiple units, including ZRP Mkoba and C.I.D Mkoba. A detailed examination of the body revealed multiple gunshot wounds, and an Okapi knife was found near Ndlovu’s hand. The body was taken to Gweru Provincial Hospital and was later moved to the Mortuary for a postmortem.

This incident has raised serious questions about the use of force and the circumstances leading to this tragic outcome. Investigations are ongoing as the community grapples with the ramifications of this violent encounter.